<VV> Engine disassembly

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Sep 22 22:45:51 EDT 2011

After working on the rusty Autocross Loaner car the last two weeks I
also second Dennis' use of 50/50 mix acetone and ATF. I mix it in a
small squirt oil can from Harbor Freight. It really seemed to be bett6er
than WD-40, Kroil and PB Blaster. Kroil and PB Blaster were my favorites
until last week!

I also have used vise grips on the studs, but usually only after they
start to turn out of the block. I would much rather keep the studs in
the block also, Bryan!

An old hint, not yet mentioned, is to tighten the nut first, then loosen
it. Sounds nutty, but works well. The theory being the nut will break
free of the stud (after soaking, heat, etc) with a better chance of not
turning the stud if you are trying to force the stud deeper into the block.

If the stud loosens (or comes out fully), test torque the stud before
you install the heads by using pipe nipples or other such spacer and the
head nuts (or rocker stud). If it can torque without running the stud
into the block, all is good.

Oversized studs are for those studs that pull out aluminum threads or
don't hold torque in the above test.

Keep in mind the threads on the studs are not standard. It is special
(not round) so that it grabs the aluminum better. So don't use a
standard die to clean the threads.

For rusty (shut up west coasters!) nuts, you can hammer on a 14 mm six
point socket or smaller for really bad nuts! ggg

Frank DuVal