<VV> Polarizing Generator

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Sep 29 20:24:05 EDT 2011

What you want to do is polarize the generator. If in fact it ran with
reverse polarity, everything should be fine after this process. You should
not have damaged anything yet.

With key off, use a piece of 14 gage or larger wire to jump between the
battery and armature terminals of the voltage regulator. I am at work
without a shop manual, so I forget the actual writing on the terminals.
BUT, it is the top and middle terminal on Corvairs (with the regulator
mounted stock position, red wires on top terminal).

It will spark! Hold for 1 or 2 seconds. The wire may also get warm, be
prepared.

Start engine again and check for red light going out.

Next tests involve a voltmeter.

Frank DuVal