<VV> The Mitty

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Mon Apr 2 07:02:55 EDT 2012

  If you ever wanted to see road racing Corvairs and missed out seeing them in the "old" days now is your chance!
  When is the last time you saw ANY Corvairs racing on a real road course, much less fourteen?
  Don't miss this oppurtunity of a lifetime. BE there or be square!

  It is now 26 days until the Mitty.

  Rumors, gossip, innuendos, etc.
  Anybody have anything to add here send it to me.

  Mike Levine sez: Car is back together mechanically and running as per his neighborhood road test.
  Bob Storc sez: I have to do a little brake work, then I'm ready to go! I won't have my #1 engine in, but it will be fun.
  I'll be running Hooiser DOT tires and I am Era Correct for Vintage so I am sure that I won't be vying for first place.
  Too bad we can't run with the Triumphs - that's what Stingers used to race against. I crewed for Jerry Thompson in his Corvette days, he was my inspiration to get a Stinger...Cant' wait....
  Spence Shepard sez: I finally made some real progress today getting my car ready for the Mitty. I haven't been able to find time to do much to it and the only change I'm making is installing front disk brakes. It wasn't a lot of fun slowing it down at the end of the back straight, downhill into a chicane, last year. I'm using a pair of Dave Clemens adapters that use Chevy S10 rotors and calipers. I finished installing them today so that I could test them out on the highway. The car is registered for the street, although it is missing some things such as front lights, directional signals, horn, mufflers, etc., etc.. I wanted to drive it on Sunday because there is less traffic, and police. The installation went well, but I was concerned about using the existing master cylinder which appears to be a '67 to '69 Corvair unit. Both reservoir chambers are the same (small) size and there isn't a check valve that should be there for the disk brakes. After bleeding the system the pedal is firm and high. They worked well on a test drive and seemed to be well balanced although I couldn't give them much of a test because of traffic. I'm going to install a valve in the back system to allow me to change the balance if that becomes necessary. The car seemed to run well, just as it came off the track at the last Mitty, and I plan on just doing maintenance things like new oil, sparks plugs, adjust valves and clean and tighten everything. I'll concentrate on bringing some spare parts because if I have them I wont need them. I think that is a corollary to one of Murphy's laws. I'm thinking I'll bring a bottom end, a couple of sets of heads (one Weber set and one Rochester) in case I or Al or anyone else needs them, a transaxle and anything else I think of. I'm hoping I can keep it running the whole event and will try to be gentle on it until the last race. It isn't running as strong as I would like, didn't want to go over 6K last year, but that should help keep it together. I'll fax in my registration tomorrow.
  Rick Norris sez: Engine and drivetrain are back in the car as prep continues. I will bring my spare engine also along with a set of ball joints...kind of a talisman if you will. GG! I haven't given mine the "neighborhood road test"!

  Pit Parking:  We are going to be crowded this year so, we will probably ask that anyone with an open trailer park it on the hill up behind the Pro Pits and any personal vehicles that are not absolutely needed. We plan to have a golf cart available for shuttling people back and forth and for fuel runs. This is preliminary and will be worked out as needed.

  Corvair Alley:  I have included the latest Mitty schedule. Things will happen pretty much as it says except the times may get adjusted some what. Last year there were more than a few "car in the wall" incidents (no Corvairs were harmed!) which delayed the proceedings. To adjust they cut some laps off the races. All in all it runs very smoothly.  We now have two more entrants who have paid the entry fee. David Clemens, Dave Edsinger and Spence Shepard. This brings the total number of race prepped Corvairs for the Mitty to 13! As soon as Al Wicht gets his entry in it will make it a nice even 14! That's four more than the goal of ten Mike Levine and I set when discussing this years Mitty last year. David will bring his very fast SPU prepped car while Dave will bring his very nice and reliable D Production Stinger. It truly is going to be historic!

  HSR has a new revamped web page.   http://www.hsrrace.com/index.html
  Under the "Race Series" tab there is a "2012 Points Standing" tab. Click on this and you will see the "Group 2-Vintage Production" tab. Here you can see who is running in and has the points lead in our class. These are the drivers that will complain if we beat them!  http://www.hsrrace.com/2012_Points/Group_2-12.pdf
  Also as I always do I checked out the latest event photos for any Corvair shots and found a nice one of James and the Stinger from last year's Mitty. It is "Blakely_577" on this page:
  http://blakeblakely.photoshelter.com/gallery/HSR-The-Mitty-2011/G0000S1.tboe364o/3/1
  Also there is a photo of my car at Blakely_188 on this page:
  http://blakeblakely.photoshelter.com/gallery/HSR-The-Mitty-2011/G0000S1.tboe364o/5/1

  Link for Mitty info and spectator tickets (the VIP package is recommended) from Classic Motorsports Magazine, a major sponsor of the Mitty.  http://classicmotorsports.net/events/Mitty12/

  Rick Norris
  #36 Sunoco Corvair