<VV> Micrometers vs. Plastiguage

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 02:09:15 EDT 2012

Excellent Point Bob,

Yes, the Plastigage measures the clearance between the  rotating member and
the bearing while the micrometers measure and include the  clearance on
both sides.

I am a little confused about your comment regarding the use of  two
measuring devices.  The micrometers I use have both the ID and OD  measurement
capability on the same device so you don't need to worry about  measurement
inaccuracies due to compounding variances on two measuring  tools.  If you use a
telescoping ID measuring device, you still use the  same micrometer to
measure the OD and the telescoping device.  However, I  do agree with your
comment about human error.  I have seen surprisingly bad  results coming from a
person's bad reading of the tool.

I always use Plastigage for these kind of  measurements.

A cautionary note; You should take more than one measurement  on at least
one main and one connecting rod journal.  I do it to  each.  Plastigage is a
lot cheaper than rebuilding your motor a second  time.  It is rare but I
have seen slightly different diameters from one  (axial) side to the other on a
particular journal.  I don't know how bad  the machine or the machine
operator must be for this to happen but it does  occur.  Also, this should go
without saying but you should take at least  one measurement on every journal.
If there can be a slight variation on a  single journal, there could be a
significant variation on the OD of the journals  from one end of the
crankshaft to the other.

In addition, even though it is in the directions .... how many  of us read
the directions? .... be careful to prevent any turning of the crank  in
respect to the bearings.  This also goes for the connecting rod  journals.  It
can be difficult to control this while tightening and  removing nuts and
bolts, separating the two parts of the crankcase and  connecting rod caps or
removing the crankshaft ........ it is  heavy.

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 4/3/2012 9:43:31 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  6