<VV> Micrometers vs. Plastiguage

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 10:21:49 EDT 2012

I use plastigage all times but, have a concern about both ways. If rotating member is resting on bearing ( 0 clearance ), the plastigage measures the total clearance, same as a micrometer... isn't it ?This means, at least to me, that, if plastigage and/or micrometer give a total clearance of, say, 0.002", in fact when rotating there is a clearance (or oil film around) of 0.001"... isn't ?
Just trying to have this clear on my mind.
Daniel Monasterio

<< Yes, the Plastigage measures the clearance between the  rotating member and  the bearing while the micrometers measure and include the  clearance on
 both sides.>>