<VV> Micrometers vs. Plastiguage

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 11:04:17 EDT 2012

 I do it both ways, often. The biggest advantage of Plastigage is it's a lot harder to make math errors!

And yes, it measures total clearance. Fortunately, Plastigage is resistant enough to deformation that it'll push the crank journal over to the other side from it no matter what. You'd be surprised how flexible a crankshaft is when you're only talking a few thousanths of an inch! Same goes for the crankcase.

But the micrometer method allows you to also measure out of round, both of the journal and of the case and rod bores. This is difficult to do well (but not impossible) with Plastigage.

Clearance is always defined as bearing ID minus journal OD. Regardless whether or not you agree with this definition, that's how the industry defines it.

John Roberts