<VV> alternator replacement II

Dennis Pleau dpleau at wavecable.com
Tue Apr 10 01:45:50 EDT 2012

I've heard the problems have been with the 'one wire alternators'.  I'm not
sure exactly what that is.

I have always ordered an alternator for a 78 Nova 350 with air, that gets me
a 63 amp alternator that the Corvair front frame and fan fits.  I switch the
front frame, bearing and fan; install the rebuilt alternator on my car and
return the core.  It's internally regulated, but is a three wire alternator.
I've done it three times and never had a problem with any of them.

So many parts have been mixed or matched by rebuilders over the years, you
really don't have clue how many amps your alternator is going to put out.

Dennis