<VV> Slightly OT rant re pedals

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 21:29:17 EDT 2012

I can't say they thought this all through when they conceived the current pedal arrangement, but it makes more sense to me than putting the clutch in the middle. When you are heel and toeing to get started on a hill, it is much easier to release the brake when it is time, while working the accelerator, than if it was the clutch, because the brake pedal has very little travel and fairly linear action, while the clutch has a lot of travel, and a bit of an "over-center" action because of the heavy springs.

My daily driver has worn syncros, so I do the old double-clutch when selecting 1st or 2nd. Not sure whether the location of the clutch matters with that. But personal timing sure does!

Frank DuVal said:

<<Tell us what foot does what action. Our VV responses are all over the map,
and we still cannot fathom a better setup than currently on every vehicle
I've seen. The pedal setup is the same on right or left hand drive
vehicles. No mirror reverse.

Now, tell us how (which foot/pedal action) normal starting and stopping is
accomplished, panic stopping is accomplished and hill driving is
accomplished.

And don't forget double clutching! For those who have unsynchroed
transmissions. Either by design or parts worn out! Anybody have a dogbox in
a Corvair?

Frank DuVal>>

-- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on