<VV> Fan belt tension (Clarification)

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Fri Apr 13 05:45:58 EDT 2012

Sounds good except for the fan clutch statement.  The original comment mentioned fans without clutches also.  On fan clutches:  Ever notice how the fan roars on a cold morning until it decides to release?  A thermostatic clutch is supposed to be fairly locked up when hot (not that they ever seem to) and most water pumper fans are fairly light with high blade pitch, area and drag from also turning the water pump.  All these things should contribute to not being as hard on the belt.  I had a 350 in a Vega with no fan clutch that would turn over 8K and I had more trouble with fan belts on it than I ever have on Corvairs.  I've had very little trouble with Corvair belts except for one '62 that would toss one every once in a while.  I don't recall ever tossing a belt on my '63 with generator and steel fan that I routinely shift at max rpm.  The engine is a stock 85hp with only a lightened flywheel though.  I'm assuming the guys that have belt trouble have modified engines that spin faster than anything I have.  My '66 Corsa has a hot Isky cam and Holley 4bbl but I haven't put too many miles on it.  My '65 has a 140 with fuel injection and a spring idler pulley and I haven't had trouble with it either.
Thanks.  Now I'll probably have belt troubles.  I guess I need to put a belt and the tools in whatever I'm driving.
Joel