<VV> Fan belt tension (Clarification)

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sat Apr 14 11:11:51 EDT 2012

 Well, temper tantrum aside, rayon, the most common V belt cord material, has a CTE of 120 ppm/C. 356T6 aluminum has a CTE of 19 ppm/C. So, I was off a bit, but clearly the cords in the belt expand a LOT more than the engine case does. The pulleys are steel, and have a CTE of about 9 ppm/C.

So, histrionics aside, the real deal is the belt expands a LOT more with temperature than the engine does. A LOT more. Also, the crankcase gets nowhere near as warm as the heads. And the belt, well, if you're having fun with the car, it gets pretty damn hot.

These are the facts and they are NOT in dispute. So, whatever axe this guy has to grind, grind it privately.

John Roberts