<VV> Fan belt tension (Clarification)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Fri Apr 13 17:31:11 EDT 2012

Mark,

Yes, the engine's growth should be greater than the belt's growth.
However, if you look at the coefficients and expected temperature rise, the
growth is not huge.  You might expect 0.1 - 0.15 of an Inch growth from the
crankshaft pulley to the fan pulley.  Those numbers are off the top of  my head.
 This is not that much if you have the tension properly adjusted  but it
would contribute to a problem if the tension started out too tight when  cold.
 Keep in mind that the crankshaft pulley will get hot with a  resulting
increase in friction.  The alt/gen pulley also gets fairly  hot.  This means
that any slippage the system requires is more likely to  occur at the fan
pulley which stays relatively cool in the cooling air slip  stream.

The fact that the belt has little heat gain means that it will not grow in
length much.  However, there will be some heat gain and growth.  I am  not
sure how much.  Keep in mind that the belt's growth is held in  check
lengthwise by the fibers but the rubber/polymer content will still plump  up more
than the direct thermal coefficient of expansion would normally  indicate.
Also, even a small rise in temperature of the  rubber/polymer in the belt
will cause a noticeable rise in friction.   Both of these effects contribute
to the problem.

Doc

In a message dated 4/13/2012 9:00:29 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  1