<VV> Ring Compressor

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 15:51:55 EDT 2012

Many Corvair engine assemblers will install the rod and piston, rings
already installed. onto the crank and then slide the cylinder down over the
piston/ring assembly. For this method, the "Take-apart" ring compressor, with
the appropriate size "ring" works great. You can clamp over the rings, and
slide  the barrel over it and displace the clamping ring as you slide down
the piston.  Be careful as the cutout area at the bottom of the cylinder
passes over the  rings. Things can pop out.  When the cylinder has covered the
ring area,  you can just slide toward the case, undo the pliers portion of the
clamp and  remove the ring. If you are installing the piston/ring assembly
into the barrel  off of the motor, it is much easier, then other types of
compressors work okay  as well.

Seth Emerson

In a message dated 4/16/2012 10:01:32 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,