<VV> Ring/Piston install process was Ring Compressor

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 19:03:08 EDT 2012

I prefer to install the rings and piston/rod assy into the cylinder off
the block. So I set up my cylinder in a hole in a piece of plywood
attached to two 2x4s with a hole in it for the cylinder base. Lube
cylinder walls (you have already pre-washed the cylinders at least
twice with hot soapy water and a clean rag to remove honing grit, blow
dried, and immediately after cleaning you sealed the cylinder walls
with a 50% 30wt oil and 50% STP mixture, I use this because it stays
put and provides better lubrication for initial startup) and
rings/piston, then set the cylinder as it would be in the car in the
jig, orient the piston/rod so rod number is up in its position on the
engine, set ring gaps, then compress the rings down and set the piston
down into the cylinder from the top, again with rod # up then gently
tap the piston down into the cylinder until it is flush with the top of
the cylinder with the wood handle of a hammer. Then add the rod
bearings, lube them, lube crank, add cylinder base gasket, protect the
crank with tubing on the rod bolts, turn crank so that journal is in a
convenient position to add the rod and slide the assy into place on the
cylinder studs and add the rod cap and torque rod nuts. You will have
to tap the piston further into the cylinder to seat the rod bearing.
Add something to hold the cylinder in place, and move on to the other
5. You also rotate the engine several times in this process so you can
check for any unusual tightness as you go. Although when you are done
the engine barely turns over due to ring friction.
Mark Durham

Sent from my Windows Phone