<VV> On the subject of Clark's Oil Filter

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 18 01:19:21 EDT 2012

First, please understand that I'm not trying to bash anyone.  In fact, I
feel that we Corvair owners are very fortunate to have vendors who are
willing to expend considerable time, money, energy, and probably more that
I've not listed in order to fill the needs of Corvair owners.  The PF4 went
away and the Clark's organization stepped up to provide a filter which did
not use that (in my mind) horrible U shaped gasket on the outer edge of the
canister.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a quality issue with those presently in the
supply chain.

While I do not have the ability to determine the precise problem, I AM
willing to suggest that it might be related to the quality OR the number
(possibly both) of spot welds which hold the ring to the canister portion of
the filter.  That ring is what holds the square cut rubber gasket (the one
we like) in place.

Attached is a picture of one I removed from my own car.  Note that the welds
are located centrally between each of the six holes where the oil flows
through.  So, is there a problem with the quality of welds?  Should there be
two or three welds between each hole?  This is where I'm not qualified to
answer, but I sure feel strongly that this is a "weak link" in the current
filter.

Can it be improved?  I suspect that it can, but someone smarter than me on
filter construction will have to answer that one.

Later, JR

PS - there should be a URL below which will take you to the picture.