<VV> Blown Out Clark's Oil Filter

Tom Hughes corvairdad at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 08:00:06 EDT 2012

Drove up to PA yesterday afternoon with a Purolator filter, a gallon
of Rotella, some speedy-dry, and the tools, etc. to replace a filter.
When I arrived there was a small puddle (about 10 " in diameter) under
rear of the engine, but the oil level in the crankcase  was only down
about a 1/2 pint from Full. I had my daughter start up the engine
while I looked for the leak source. After a few seconds, oil started
running down the sides of the filter. I tightened the bolt, wiped off
the outside, and watched for a few minutes. No more leak. This engine
had run a few hundred miles since I’d put the replacement filter
without any sign of filter leakage or noticable drop in the oil level.
I thought about replacing the filter anyway, but changed my mind since
my daughter was in a hurry to get the car back to her apartment and
make it to class on time. I put the Purolator filter, oil, wrench,
etc. in the trunk of her car, kissed her good-bye, and wished her
well. She’s quite capable of replacing a filter and cleaning up a mess
if it does happen - now that she has the stuff to do it with. She also
knows to check the ground under the rear of the car and pay attention
to the idiot light.

--
Tom in Baltimore
corvairfleet.blogspot.com