<VV> Trying again on 134A subsitute question

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Thu Apr 19 14:31:45 EDT 2012

Why not use R-12?  I've never had any trouble finding it on ebay or Craig's list.  It costs too much to buy in cans but drums aren't that bad.  I used Autofrost (406a?) until it wasn't available any more and it worked better than R-12.  I've heard and seen bad things with Freeze12.  I haven't been happy with 134 performance and if you don't completely flush your old system and replace the drier and compressor your reliability will suffer due to oil problems.  Invest in some tools to flush the system and nitrogen to dry it and pressure test and you'll have much less trouble.
Would anyone rebuild an engine without cleaning everything?  Why would anyone replace a compressor in an A/C system without cleaning the whole system?
Not saying you haven't done this...
Joel McGregor