<VV> 3.1 liter

James Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Apr 25 10:40:57 EDT 2012

Generally cylinder head heat is not a problem for an UltraVan with
deflashed heads.  Those running stock exhaust manifolds usually have the
lower shrouds removed and the exhaust manifolds reversed.  I chose to
run headers to remove the heat sink from under the heads with a 1961
style fan.  I use shorty shrouds with the headers to supply cabin heat
in cool weather.  Running across Kansas after the Convention, I saw
cylinder head temperatures around 310 F degrees with the ambient of 110+
F.  I was cruising at 60 mpg (3,300 rpm).  The real problem is with oil
temperatures.  With the 3.1 operation at full throttle for 30 minutes or
longer, when climbing in the mountains, oil temps often exceed 290 F
degrees.  That is with a B&M auxiliary plate type  oil cooler of 110 sqin.
Jim Davis
52,000 miles with a 3.1 in an UltraVan