<VV> Thermostats

Jim Simpson simpsonj at verizon.net
Wed Aug 1 11:18:15 EDT 2012

Thanks for the informative response.  My experience has been just about
what you describe -- CHTs in the 325 range with sump oil temps around 240
in normal driving.  At 225, I shouldn't expect a thermostat to start
opening in boiling water (212).

What started me wondering was that I was experiencing what seemed to be
higher temps on the trip to and from Sturbridge -- in the mid-to-upper 300s
with them creeping up to around 400 while climbing long grades.  The
cruising CHT temp seemed 10 - 30 degrees higher than normal.  Plus my oil
temp stabilized at 250 or thereabouts as measured at from a temp sensor in
the back of the block near the top of the oil.  (Supposedly that's the
highest temp point.)  That's about 10 deg higher than normal.  But I rarely
drive the car more than ~50 miles one-way these days and on the trip it
seemed like temps were still creeping up for at least an hour or more into
the drive before finally stabilizing.  Plus the ambient temps were in the
upper 80s to low 90s by mid-day.

When I've put the car way in the past, I've always been able to catch the
left side damper closing a minute or so after shutting it down.  That's to
be expected with the longer exhaust manifold and oil cooler on the left.
The right side closes more quickly, but if I'm fairly quick I catch the
last movement.  After this trip the right side seemed have closed a lot
sooner.  So I thought I'd ask the question.

I think I'm just getting a bit paranoid in my old age.  After all the
discussion on VV about valve seats and then witnessing the '64 Spyder lose
a valve seat during the rally I tend to be a little concerned about temps.
(I was there when he restarted the engine after a stop on the rally; that's
a sound I don't ever want to hear from my car, a '66 Corsa turbo.  I had a
loose valve seat a long time ago; luckily it didn't drop out and break.
That was bad enough.)

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair