<VV> Thermostats

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at q.com
Thu Aug 2 04:01:28 EDT 2012

> This is something that YOU have done??????

Nope.

I believe the record shows that I have removed or disabled thermostats
and /or damper doors on nearly every Corvair I have ever driven, and
likewise, recommended it to others, well before the lower shroud removal
craze came into vogue. I've always thought "air-cooled" meant just that,
"cool".  Cool engines just don't drop as many valve seats as hot engines do.

Just saying that I believe it "could" be done by an individual
determined to adjust those damper doors so they close, even though the
stats have failed.  Maybe they can't, but I think there are enough
threads on the rods to do it -- if not, the rods "could" be modified to
that end.  I don't see that anyone properly informed would do such, but
I do have great faith in "The Uninformed Masses" ...

Bill Strickland