<VV> brakes - dot 5 fluid

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at q.com
Sun Aug 5 14:57:21 EDT 2012

I really don't like seeing DOT 5 maligned just because it is a bit
different -- yes, I had a leaky wheel cylinder in a Corvair that sat for
a while with DOT 5, but I never thought it was the fluid. A second set
of new cups in that cylinder seems to have fixed the problem - never did
figure out what I did wrong, the new cups didn't look any better than
the new cups I took out ...

My BMC cars, which are notorious for leaky hydraulics (think Lucas
brakes <grin>), even if you do use the correct Girling fluid, now set
for years between movings, and not only to the brakes work every time,
but so does that darned hydraulic clutch on the Bug Eye -- all DOT 5's
fault.

DOT 5 -- not for ABS, but great for collecter cars that don't get
regular use, and it doesn't eat paint -- I'd recommend DOT 5.1 for a
great racing fluid (it's not silicone).

Bill Strickland