<VV> cht and oil temp question

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 5 20:34:39 EDT 2012

I've been using and monitoring oil temps. by many years, mostly with dino oils.Based on the use of 15-40 oils and ambient temps. on the range of 70-110ºF, my goal has been not surpassing 260ºF, measured near the bottom of the oil pan.Most of the time, without lower engine shrouds, the usual oil temps (fully warmed engine) stay between 180º - 220ºF and a few times goes to 240º on long hill climbing at high ambient temps.All my engines have OEM oil pans and valve covers, 12 plate oil coolers, deflashed heads. Nothing fancy.My mostly used oil is Akron (think not known on the US) CI/SL 15-40 weight. As per head temps. (using Corsa termisters and gauges), the usual is 300º-400ºF, depending on the roads, loads and ambient temps.Think best oils are synthetics but, after SM rating arrived, couldn't find an adequate good one for my old engines, in my area.BTW, my PG oil (on a GB) usually goes up to 240ºF and manual transs./diff. oil (late cpe. and Rampy) goes up to 180ºF.
Daniel Monasterio