<VV> Removing connectors

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Tue Aug 7 11:38:38 EDT 2012

At 13:55 8/06/2012 -0400, rich dixon wrote:

>Anyone know how to remove the pin connectors found the in dash
>wiring?harness (the?harness?on?the Instrument Panel)?on a late model cluster

The Corvair electrical connector blocks use what are known as "Packard"
wire terminal inserts.  These snap into (kind of) the plastic connector
block and are held in place by a tiny metal tang.  To remove the terminal
it is necessary to depress this tang against the body of the terminal so
that it clears a small ledge in the wire gallery of the block.  I use a
small flat blade jeweller's screwdriver.  It would help to look at a new
terminal (both male and female) and see how the tang is captured when
inserted in the connector block.  You should be able to get new terminals
from your FLAPS in the HELP! brand or other racks of small electrical parts.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI