<VV> 14" to 15"wheels

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Aug 8 17:44:26 EDT 2012

Generally correct.  The FC wheels are 14x5 jmod where as the car wheels
of the time were 14x5jj.  It is stamped near the valve stem on all
wheels after 1973.  The first j came about with the popularity of
tubeless tires.  It denotes a safety rim or that there is a lip in the
tire bead area of the rim to retain a flat tubeless tire.  Before that
modification, the tube helped retain the tire on the rim.  The second j
denotes the size and location of the center depression in a solid rim.
A split rim would not have this designation.  The mod description
indicates that the FC rim doesn't meet the standard j specifications;
that is, the depressed center section is not centered in the rim.  This
is why the tire can only be removed or installed from only one side of
the wheel.

  Note: 15x6jj rims fit FCs just fine but 225/70-15 tires do rub the
front ADDCO anti-roll bars at full steering lock.
Jim Davis