<VV> 63 Spyder Hi Temp Buzzer

Carlton Smith carlton55 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 14 10:02:52 EDT 2012

Hi Dave,

All of the suggestions the VV guys have given you are quite valid as to
checking your sensors especially if you never have. But the most important
thing if you are driving your turbo car with any frequency is to get that
head temp gage working and check that it is accurate. You should monitor
that gage all the time while you are driving and especially if you are
boosting frequently. And on climbing / accelerating you should not boost
longer than 30 seconds or you are most certainly are sending your head temps
to meltdown. You need to pay attention to the boost gage and the head temp
gage all of the time.

Next is if you are driving in the summer "with your lower shrouds still
installed" you are most certainly getting those heads up to 380 degrees and
if you are going on a highway over 55mph for any length of time. That will
send the head temps up to 400-425-450 degrees and higher.

Speaking as a summer time daily turbo driver, I keep an eye on that head
temp gage and boost gages constantly, especially at highway speeds. I have
had the Corsa since 2008, experiencing the above mentioned temps and have
asked other turbo owners who have experience the same with a stock setup.
Because of these temps and speaking with other turbo owners I finally took
my lower shrouds off (actually modified them but that is another subject)and
now my normal around town driving has the heads at 325 degrees, highway
driving can get to 350 degrees. My gage is pretty accurate as I have checked
the head temps with a infrared thermometer and compared the readings to the
head temp gage readings. Shrouds on and running around town goes up to 340
easily, highway and boosting easily up to 425 degrees.

My point is that you really need that head temp gage working! Hopefully your
sensor and buzzer were wrong, but if they went off at 575 degrees head temp
that is really bad!!!!!!

By the way the diode inside the harness that was mentioned by Seth is there
so when you turn on your ignition the buzzer does not sound until the engine
starts, annoying the heck out of you. The temp light is in the same circuit
as the buzzer so it coming on tests the temp sensor is working.

Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN
Circle City Corvairs Club
1965 Corsa 180 turbo convertible