<VV> Display Awards

William Hubbell whubbell at verizon.net
Sun Aug 19 06:46:22 EDT 2012

Concours in 1998 was then, as it still is today, a two day event, with
Classification and Unit 6 (Operations) judging the first day, and all other
judging the next day.  The first part of the Concours was conducted without
any difficulties, but the next day was cancelled due to foul weather, as was
the Car display.

However, the next day's weather was good and they managed to put on the car
display that day after all, but they refused to reschedule the Concours.
Worse, they also would not allow the Concours folks to join in the car
display, although they did allow the Concours cars to park in a nearby lot,
away from the rest of the cars.  The final insult was when they reversed an
initial decision to base the Concours awards on the first day's judging
results and instead decided to give those awards to the 4th, 5th, etc.
finishers in the other events (Autocross, Economy Run, etc.).

Also, the convention organizers refused to automatically refund the Concours
registration fee, instead doing so only if a registrant "requested" it.
Since most registrants did not know about this decision, most did not know
they had to ask, and the organizers therefore kept most of the fees.

The last insult was to reconfigure the Ed Cole award that year to remove the
Concours requirement (since they had cancelled the Concours).

So there ended up being no Concours awards that year, and the Ed Cole award
was tainted.

The "Official" convention awards featured the St Louis Arch.  When I
returned home I made up several awards and gave them to the members of my
chapter (Tidewater Corvair Club) who had attended the convention and
registered for the convention.  I called it the "Broken Arch" award, photo
attached.

Bill Hubbell