<VV> Bad Corvair. Bad bad Corvair

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 19 11:08:01 EDT 2012

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 00:50:38 -0400
> From: "Smitty" <vairologist at cox.net>
> Subject: <VV> Bad Corvair.  Bad bad Corvair
> To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
> Smitty says;   I have become involved with a problem suffered by one of my
> club members.  I am not a novice at troubleshooting and feel I have done a
> reasonable job on this car.         62 80 hp original engine with 55K miles
> on it.  PG tranny.  Engine starts and runs well but in ten minutes or so
> starts running crappy.  Sounds like electrical rather than fuel but I have
> been wrong on that before.   Engine starts sputtering and eventually dies.
> Choke thermal  pull offs and choke vacuum dumps work as advertised.  Choke
> butterflies are open long before engine heats enough to start misfiring.
> Carbs were replaced with ones from one of the big carb vendors.  Carbs torn
> down and inspected, re-kitted and tried again.  Set up with air flow meter
> and tach.   Engine has been thoroughly checked for intake leaks.
> Compression check shows all fairly equal.  Distributor to coil lead has been
> checked for continuity while flexing.  Points, rotor, coil, condenser have
> been replaced.  Spark plug wires check good.  Spark plugs are good.  Timing
> has been checked from 8 to 12 degrees.  Vac advance cycles.  Gas has been
> checked for good drainage through sock.  All fuel lines have been blown and
> air passes through freely.  Hose in left wheel well has been checked by
> fairly high shop pressure  While observing timing light flashes as missing
> starts no gaps of irregular flashes noted.  This POS is going to cause me to
> die young.

  Smitty- A couple of things that I can think of- check the points lead wire, and replace distributor cap (you didnt specifically mention replacing that). It may be also thatthe power wire to the coil is bad. It sounds to me like something in the electrical system is going bad when it gets warm- coils are usually the ones to fail like that, but internallydamaged wires can also do this. Kevin Nash