<VV> Heater Hose Question and Mark Durham

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 19:40:00 EDT 2012

Bob, what you are looing at is SCAT hose, or some variation of that name.
It is wire supported, and there are several types, single layer outside the
wire, and dual layer, where the wire is enclosed between hose layers, red,
there is a cheaper black, too.  It is very expensive, but is good up to 550
degrees F(the red), since it is used off of heater muffs that are a part of
the mufflers on the aircraft. Go to www.skygeek.com or
www.aircraftspruce.com and look under hose. There are other places that
sell it on line, too.

I do not remember a smell when flying aircraft that use this hose. Most
places get this stuff in precut lenghts, so be careful if you decide to
order, or you could go to your local FBO and talk to the parts department
and see what they have.

My car came with less fancy dryer style aluminum duct  when I bought it. It
had lasted for many years and had deteriorated at the ends, so I bought
Clarks hose. The smell went away after a few drives.
Mark Durham