<VV> Top-25 (was: Some facts)

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Mon Aug 20 12:15:35 EDT 2012

I LIKE this!

At Sturbridge we distributed 24 awards in the car display, three each in
six classes.  The "Top-25" concept adds only one award to the number
required, and it makes all the awards identical.

It eliminates all classes (open - closed - FC etc) and makes the event
clearly a casual counterpoint to the concours.  Want to have your car
judged and possibly receive a formal trophy?  Enter the concours.  Want
to show your car and possibly receive a popular-choice award?  Enter the
car display.

I'm an old guy who was there "at the beginning."  The car display was
first added to the CORSA convention in 1984, as a means to lure onto the
show field the many Corvairs that attend a convention but which are for
whatever reason not entered in the concours.  At the time I was on the
CORSA Board, the 1984 convention committee, and the convention concours
committee, so I know of what I speak.

The original car display was very clearly NOT intended to be a
substitution for the concours or a junior concours or a beginners'
concours or a discount concours or any other flavor of concours. It was
intended to be a car show.

Originally there were only three popular-choice awards:  Most popular
early model, late model, and FC.  In the years since it has grown to
where there are now multiple classes and guidelines and whatnot.  None
of which enhance the fundamental idea, which is to put on display all
the Corvairs in attendance at a convention.

Those who have their knickers in a twist over the car display awards
given at Sturbridge have lost sight -- if they ever saw it in the first
place -- of the fact that the car display is not the concours.

--Bob