<VV> Body Styles, Models, and Years. Was: Sedans

Karl Haakonsen cityhawk at pobox.com
Mon Dec 3 18:20:48 EST 2012

I'm in awe of some of you guys.

In my life I have owned one Corvair, my 1966 Monza convertible 110/PG.
I've had it since 1990. It has never been on the road since I've had it.
I have driven a Corvair exactly once in my life (see this story:
http://www.chezhawk.com/VairBlog/?p=373) -- I also pasted it in the
email (see below)

I was fortunate to have ridden in two different Corvairs in Sturbridge
this summer. I rode with fellow Bay State Corvairs member Chuck Leonard
in his beautiful aqua colored 1964 Monza convertible, and I had a short
ride in the back of a 1965 Monza sedan (yes, a four-door!) driven by
Western Michigan Corvair Club president Ryan Counterman.

Karl in Boston
CORSA Eastern Director
Bay State Corvair Club
Corvanatics
Stock Corvair Group

  The one and only time I have driven a Corvair

Posted on February 16, 2011 <http://www.chezhawk.com/VairBlog/?p=373> by
cityhawk <http://www.chezhawk.com/VairBlog/?author=2>

I was pondering the one time I have actually driven a Corvair on an
actual road (not including when I first bought my Corvair and I drove it
around my driveway to pack down the dirt and gravel I had spread on the
driveway).

It was probably 1991, and I was going to some kind of
event/gathering/meeting of the Colonial Corvair Club, somewhere north of
Boston. It was early springtime, and the day was kind of overcast and
chilly.

I met another member, who was at the time a young man, though probably
several years older than me (I would have been 29 at the time). He was
tall and slim. I can't recall his name, but he lived somewhere in the
Cambridge/Somerville/Arlington vicinity. I was going to meet him at his
house and drop off my Mazda pickup truck and ride with him in his 1965
Monza coupe. It was a "daily driver" car that appeared to have its
original paint job.... a bronze sort of color, and it had a 110 HP
engine and Powerglide transmission (the same powertrain as my car). At
one point, he asked me if I wanted to drive it. Of course I said yes! So
he pulled over and we switched places. I can't recall where exactly this
was, but I seem to recall driving north on I-93 for a bit. I was so
elated to have the opportunity to drive the car, especially since it was
so similar to mine.

Anyway, it was long ago, and I don't recall the name of the guy who let
me drive his car, but I was very grateful he gave me that opportunity.
Sadly, I have neither driven nor ridden in a Corvair since then.