<VV> Incorrect terms was Late 4-doors

Shelrockbored at aol.com Shelrockbored at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 15:15:35 EST 2012

One will never correct first incorrect impressions.  We are creatures  of
habit.

Another good example is the term used for dieseling.  The correct term  is
post-ignition but many people (including some engineers) say  pre-ignition.

The term could not possibly be pre-ignition, since if that were the correct
 term the dieseling would occur BEFORE ignition.  Pre meaning BEFORE and
Post meaning AFTER.  The dieseling occurs AFTER one switches off the
ignition.

I once tried in vain to explain this to a very good auto-mechanic friend of
 mine who I went through grade school with.  He learned the difference
between the prefixes post and pre at the same time I did but refused to  alter
his thinking.

I always heard automotive advertising in the 60's and 70's say 4 door
sedan.  Never simply sedan.  In the UK I think the call a sedan a  saloon.  This
of course has a radically different meaning to an  American.  It all comes
down to how one says it.

The correct meaning is still conveyed, however.

I wish I had the three 4 door sedans (I certainly would not say 4 door
saloon - people would think I'm looking for a bar - but a Brit might say it
that  way) and the one Monza coupe my grandfather owned between 1961 and 1973.
 Everyone knows what kind of cars I am referring to.

Steve Sassi
LICA Webmaster

In a message dated 12/5/2012 2:14:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,