<VV> OT--Incorrect terms and Human nature

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 15:32:09 EST 2012

I once tried in vain to explain this to a very good auto-mechanic friend of
 mine who I went through grade school with.  He learned the difference
between the prefixes post and pre at the same time I did but refused to  alter
his thinking.

 While in the Army / late 60's  I was challenged by our company's Motor Sgt."  $20  bet   I was wrong.

He  insisted the Idle mixture screws on a Rochester 2GC  were the MAIN JETS....

I had him screw them in tight and proceed to start  the car with the throttle held open... and let it run for 10 minutes...

Then let it idle and it died......  opened the screws 2 turns and restarted  without pumping the gas..

Everyone told him to "Pay Up".....  but he refused to accept  what he had  seen with his own eyes...

I finally got my $20..and more when he challenged  my '56 Chev Bel-Air 2dr. Seadan  with '59 348 /290 hp / PG /3.73 diff. [ originally a 235-6 /pg car] toa 1/4 mile drag race,

with his '68 Chevelle SS 396-325 hp /wide ratio 4 speed  and 3.10 [ all factory stock  except some Cherry Bomb mufflers!

Note:  my car had his old factory mufflers on it....  he had thrown them away...

  We ran six times to  make him give up finally....  $10  a race..

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Corvair-Patio

http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages