<VV> Fwd: New Car Black Boxes - No Corvair

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Dec 8 13:39:40 EST 2012

Ken, I do not know where you got that statistic from, but it is
obviously wrong. The number saved can not be 0. You could make up a
number that might be believed, but zero?

One just needs to look at the number of automobile deaths per year in
this country to see that something has changed over 50 years. Of course,
many things have changed. But, speeds, number of miles driven, number of
cars on the road, and number of crashes has increased. Lives are being
saved. Air bags are just one of the reasons. But they are a reason.  We
killed 50,000 people per year in the 60s and now just kill 30,000 people
per year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

Here in Virginia, in the IIHS lobby, we have the two Chrysler vehicles
that were in the FIRST head on accident between two cars, both outfitted
with driver side airbags. You can touch them and study how damaged they
are. Real life crash, not done in the laboratory.  These are 1989 Chryslers.

Results were: lives saved 2, deaths 0. These were first generation airbags.

I remember the news report from the accident, the trooper was expecting
to see dead people in the cars (head on collision on a rural road 55 mph
limit) and started asking the two people standing by what they had seen
about the crash, then  found out they were the drivers!

http://articles.dailypress.com/1990-03-31/news/9003310059_1_air-bags-bags-or-automatic-seat-driver-s-side-air

Yes, out of the 700,000+ people killed in crashes between 1990 and 208,
290 or so were caused by the airbag going off in low speed crashes.
Kinda small number. Of course if it is you, then the statistic is large!

Frank DuVal