<VV> Fwd: New Car Black Boxes - No Corvair

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Dec 10 10:01:30 EST 2012

Frank:

The numbers came from a discussion between a couple of GM engineers that were directly involved in the program.  This study was done shortly after the first MANDATED airbags were on the market.  They had collected thousands of deployments.  The test was looking for effectiveness of the airbags by sorting out accidents in which the airbag had deployed even though the accident was probably survivable compared to how many of the deployments actually resulted in saving a life.  Sorry you don't like the results but they showed that at time there were NO / ZERO lives saved.  The unexpected revelation by their study was that the airbags had actually killed 123 persons, 57 of which were children.  Those were the results they took to the government.

Unknown is the number of deployments that were unknown to them or those in which the data was not collectable.

As far as the improvement in safety, I will give the greatest amount of credit to metallurgical development with design taking a close second.  Perhaps airbags may have some small part but, we see the same safety improvements in NASCAR and other forms of racing even though they DO NOT employ airbags at all!

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
65 Monza 110hp 4 speed 2 door
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.