<VV> Tire Pressures - possible Corvair

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Dec 8 20:51:27 EST 2012

I have several newer cars, besides my two Corvairs.Two of these  are newer
GM cars and have tire pressure monitoring systems that are  factory
installed. These are cars which are driven everyday. The last couple of  years I
have attended the SEMA show -all things car/truck related. There are now
several aftermarket tire pressure warning systems available. Installation
involves replacing the fill-valve cores on the wheels, meaning the tires have to
come loose, and a monitoring pick up is located in the dash area. But they
seem  to work well and do, indeed track the cold pressures overnight and the
warm up  during the driving of the car. The warning system in my Corvette
warned me of a  catastrophic puncture of a tire on the freeway, giving me
options that just  wouldn't have been available until the tire was at 0 pressure
and the handling  disintegrated enough to let me know.

PS - both cars have OnStar service from GM. Onstar regularly monitors
systems on the cars and routinely sends me an e-mail telling me that a tire is 1
 psi low. I have concluded that it always checks in the cold middle of the
night when Boyle's law has proven correct again.

- Seth Emerson

In a message dated 12/8/2012 11:06:29 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,