<VV> bolting a flywheel

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Dec 21 18:07:21 EST 2012

I've bolted many. I use the 5/16" bolts, not the 1/4" bolts.

I drill the head off one rivet, punch it through, drill for tight fit of
the 5/16" bolt and torque it in place before starting the next rivet.

Keep a flat (of the bolt head, not the nut) on the outside, i.e. parallel
to the arc of the circle. I do grind the outside flat to make sure it
clears the lower bellhousing bolts.

If I suspect the assembly is out of round, I mount the flywheel on a crank
mounted in a block and check it with a dial indicator. But I have done many
without this step. Usually quiet running ones that I was doing a clutch
change or other engine removal repairs on.

I did have a local auto repair shop with a balancer do this step. It is
highly recommended. The last two were not balanced, he retired, and they do
not seem to be as smooth running. I need to find another balancer.

Frank DuVal