<VV> Steer me straight

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Sat Dec 29 10:37:24 EST 2012

My tilt column installation involved three parts:

-- FR tilt column.  I used the 1-3/4" column and enlarged the '65 floor
clamp to accommodate the FR column ('65 column is 1-1/2").  To do that, I
used a pipe nipple and a hammer.

-- FR steering box.  Amusing aside -- the first box I received was reversed
so when steering right the car turned left.  Glad I caught it before I hit
the road. :)

-- FR sliding coupling.  This gives a degree of collapse, but it also gave
me some fine adjustment to get the total column length exactly right after
installation.

-- Miscellaneous FR u-joints and couplers.

-- PVC pipe and pipe flange as a mockup to determine the column length.

Everything fit without having to dimple the frame rail or gas tank.  I did
have to enlarge the hole in the floor to accommodate the larger column and
I want to improve on the piece that holds the column to the bottom of the
dash.  I'm currently using the original after enlarging it somewhat.

Dave