<VV> California Plates

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Dec 29 15:25:19 EST 2012

Before everybody gets too hung up on this, more info is needed. For many
years California has allowed owners of older - 1962 back to 1956 or so,  cars
to re-install the Yellow with black letters plates issued by California
during those years. Repro plates were not generally allowed or available. In
1963, California replaced all previous license plates with the new black
plates.  Those black plates issued in those years are still usable on cars. In
California, issued plates stay with the car, not the owner (exception,
personalized plates) so a 1965 Corvair would have been issued black plates and
could easily still have those original plates. (My 65 Monza does.) The DMV
has been under siege by car enthusiasts for many years. They wanted to put
the correct-year black plates on the car which might have had the plates
replaced over the years. The DMV was unable to figure out how to
differentiate between the original car that the plates were on, and the new car  the
enthusiast wanted to install them on. A new computer system now allows  both
types of registration original plates and replacement plates. This is not
the state trying to gouge enthusiasts - they are trying to respond to a real
demand from their customers. I also wonder if the $50 charge really covers
the  cost.

PS, don't rely on a Black Plate to assure you of a rust free car. My
Monza, a California car all it's life,has, as did my Yenko ringer, the classic
windshield rust. Fixed on the Yenko, not yet on the Monza.

Seth Emerson - (an original Californian)

In a message dated 12/29/2012 1:43:04 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,