<VV> California Plates

Brent Fullard brent.fullard at rogers.com
Sat Dec 29 16:24:33 EST 2012

Seth wrote; " This is not the state trying to gouge enthusiasts - they are trying to respond to a real demand from their customers. I also wonder if the $50 charge really covers
the  cost. "

That's a very true statement, since in the case of the YOM (Year of Manufacture) plate system in Ontario, they have decided to gouge the consumer, since in Ontario you first have to buy a set of YOM plates and then they charge you $251 (versus $50 in California) to register them, and every year thereafter you have the "privilege" of paying an annual renewal fee of $80 versus the approx $20 renewal fee that would apply if you simply went the historic plate route, for which the plate only costs $20 at the outset.

Notwithstanding this, I have YOM plates on two of my cars, my '66 427 Vette and my '72 BMW 2002tii. Still waiting to find a set of '66 plates for my '66 Turbo Vert.