<VV> Loose Throttle Shaft

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Wed Feb 1 16:51:19 EST 2012

 All true, but there's also a root cause here. Having dealt with MANY loose throttle shaft levers (and many that weren't), I believe the root cause is too much force on these levers. Namely, when you mash it to the floor, all that force is on the throttle stops on the carbs, and after a while, they loosen up. I had an AHA! moment on this ages ago.

After staking the living bejeezus out of these, making them nice and tight, they'd be loose after several months of spirited driving.
So, I added a stop on the cross shafts at each end, making them take the brunt of this force, and gee, no more loose throttle shaft levers!
I set them up to hit the stop about 0.020 or so before the stop on the carb hit. At that close to WOT, a degree or two off of that won't matter whatsoever.
Did the same deal on the YH, which had the same problem, also ended that problem. Here, the stop was on the crossover pipe, a bracket on the lever pivot where the rod goes to the trans bracket.

John Roberts