<VV> Advice needed - loose throttle shaft

chuck mckinley cmckinley313 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 1 19:10:38 EST 2012

Thanks to the several of you who offered suggestions. Based on your
know-how and familiarity with the nature of the problem, and realizing
that I really had nothing to lose by trying, I used a Bernz-o-matic Tote
Torch, which provides a really tiny flame, and was able to get a good
braze between the end of the brass shaft and the throttle lever, and if
needed I can grind it off, but it looks like a keeper. The carb is back
together now with appropriate readjustments of the initial idle setting
and fast idle cam, but the car is out on the street in the dark, so I
won't be able to put it back together and test it until tomorrow
morning. When I had the throttle shaft out of the carb, it was
reassuring to see that there was no detectable wear (other than the
plating being worn off, showing the brass underneath) where the shaft
passes through the carb body.

I have one more question, unrelated to this issue. When I had the carbs
apart last week for cleaning and rebuild, I noticed that one carb has a
#51 main jet and the other has either a #50 or a #53 - the stamped
numbers are so tiny and unclear that I couldn't be sure. If I had to
pick one I'd say it's a #50. Would it be worth my while to get another
#51 so that they match? (Or two of some other size?) The car runs quite
nicely at road speeds since the carb rebuild, but it would be a simple
matter to replace one or both jets.

Thanks again to all,
Chuck McKinley