<VV> Knock outs

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at q.com
Wed Feb 1 19:42:49 EST 2012

I'm thinking, maybe not too clearly, that when GM first introduced the
self adjusters, the knockout wasn't there -- not sure if the Corvair was
in the vanguard of the SA brakes or not.  Those that "need" to know can
look it up and report.  It does seem like the knock outs were in
response to folks drilling these access holes in the drums, for access,
as Frank points out.  I know I have seen drums with these holes drilled,
and wondered why they drilled the drum and not the backing plate, but ...

Anyway, I agree, they wouldn't be there, if they weren't occasionally
supposed to be used.  Don't believe there was ever a factory part to
fill these holes, once the knockout was removed.

Maybe they were just drilling out the knock out?  Don't remember. It
wasn't important at the time.  I do know that if they are present, I
generally remove them, simply on principle.

Bill Strickland