<VV> Powerglide questions

Karl Haakonsen cityhawk at pobox.com
Sun Feb 5 23:12:26 EST 2012

Hi gang,

As I prepare to have my engine components cleaned, my thoughts turn to
my transmission. So, I don't really know the last time the transmission
was driven on the open road. Per the previous owner, the car was last on
the road in 1972. That information may be suspect. However, what I do
know is that I have never driven the car on the road in the 21-plus
years I've had it. I did drive it around my driveway a bit in 1990, but
the transmission never shifted up into high gear (top speed was around
5mph). It worked like a champ between Drive (low gear only) and Reverse,
though that was more than 21 years ago.

The question is, would most of you take the transmission apart to
rebuild it just because it's out of the car and you're doing a full
restoration, or am I inviting more trouble by taking apart a
transmission that may be fine, given the reputation that Corvair
Powerglides have of being bulletproof? Is there any way to assess its
condition without taking it fully apart? Can it be flushed clean without
taking it apart? Can it be removed without dropping the whole powertrain
if I find that it doesn't work properly? Or should I just bite the
bullet and rebuild it since it's out of the car?

Also, I will be replacing my torque converter. Clark's 2012 supplement
extolls the virtue of the "high stall" torque converter for all
Corvairs. I have some questions about that as well. I understand the
concept of the higher stall RPM of the TC at the low end, but does this
mean that there is more likelihood of slippage at higher RPMs or is the
TC's response at higher speeds independent of its increased "slushiness"
at the low end? I am less concerned about screaming performance than I
am about gas mileage, and I don't have air conditioning on my car, so
the benefits of a high stall TC seem more abstract to me, and I would be
afraid that those benefits would come at the expense of more slippage at
highway speeds, resulting in higher engine RPMs at highway speeds and
thus worse gas mileage. I am clearly not an expert on the design and
function of torque converters. Anyone here an expert on torque
converters that can enlighten me about this?

Thanks!

Karl in Boston
www.chezhawk.com/VairBlog