<VV> Power Door Locks

William Garrison william.garrison1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 12:53:57 EST 2012

I installed a generic-from-ebay keyless entry system on my '65
convertible a few years ago and have been completely satisfied.  I've
set it up to lock/unlock the doors, flash the lights, turn on the
interior lights and honk one horn (two were a bit too loud).  It took
a few relays to make this all work, but once done it has worked fine
for about 3 years now on a daily driver.  The hard part is getting the
wires to the door.  I just drilled a 1/4 inch hole from the inside of
the door out and then took out the glove box to drill a matching hole
in the jamb from the inside.  Other people have angle drills that
apparently let them do this from the jamb - but I have no experience
with them.  Then I just put a grommet on the holes, ran the wires and
covered them with flexible hose.  Clark's sells a proper boot GM used
with factory speakers in the doors, but I've not tried that either.

There is an unused tab on the late model door lock you can have the
door lock motor pull/push on that works just fine.  It might have been
there for door locks on some other GM model.

So, it is a reasonable project and I'm very satisfied with my
installation - and I bet you will be with yours too.  Other than the
wire going from the door jamb to the door (which you only see when the
door is opened) everything looks stock.

Regards,
Bill Garrison
Philadelphia Corvair Association

=================
 I want
everything  to look 100% stock, I just want a power lock remote on my
keychain.   I'm certain that kits have to be available from the hot rod
crowd, but I'd  like to know if anyone has any input on where you can get
the best deal,  what works well and what doesn't etc.

Thanks,
--
Ray "Grymm"  Rodriguez

Search ebay  for "universal keyless entry"   49 items

 as low as $27  shipped.. for 4 doors!   #320842947849

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Patio
http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages