<VV> Corsa Dash Install questions

Shelrockbored at aol.com Shelrockbored at aol.com
Mon Feb 6 13:54:05 EST 2012

I've rewired a '64 and '65 Monza.  I'll describe the '65 since  that is
more in line with what you have in mind.  If you are going to try  to rewire it
yourself (i.e. without the replacement harnesses) my advice is do  not even
attempt to do this without the schematic diagrams available in the
Technical Service Shop Manuals.

A friend of mine is converting his '65 Monza PG to a Corsa 4 speed.   The
car will not of course be numbers specific but it will be a functioning
Corsa.

We installed clutch and standard brake pedals after removing the PG brake
pedal and PG shift cable.  But what you want to know is how to install  a
Corsa dash in a Monza.  First of all both will bolt right up to the dash
fascia with little difficulty other than lining the new dash up with the correct
 screw holes.  (This is a perfect opportunity to check that all screw
holders are present and afford you the chance to replace any that are missing or
 broken.)  The book Corvair Basics describes the  removal process
perfectly.  Installation is a little more difficult  but not too bad.  The Corsa dash
is considerably heavier than the  Monza.

Be aware of the ground strap when re-installing.  If this is not  connected
correctly the dash will, "go haywire" when power is  applied.  I had
experience with this in my first car (a 1970  Buick Skylark GS) when I was a kid.
A friend had the same  problem in an early 70's Pontiac.  GM cars from this
era were prone to this  problem so be aware.

To answer your first point, unless you want to do some wiring yourself you
must purchase a Corsa wiring harness.  We had an old Corsa available which
we raided for parts and wiring harnesses.  A new harness from Clark's costs
 in the neighborhood of $350.00 for the behind the dash harness.

Additionally, the main harness which runs along the tunnel will  also have
to be replaced.  This one is under $100.00 available from  Clark's.  Again
you could wire it yourself but that is a very complex  operation and you
would need the wiring schematic to accomplish this.   Remember the Monza does
not have a tach and all the wiring which  runs the tach would have to be
installed along with the heat gage.  The  schematic calls for 20 gauge wire to
run the tachometer.

In order for the heat gauge to work a thermister would have to be installed
 in the head.  The 140 (as well as 180 turbo, et  al.) head has a provision
for this but I don't know if a 110  does.  Remember the Corvair is an air
cooled engine so an  aftermarket sender is useless here.  At last report
replacement  thermisters were rare and expensive.  I have no idea how this could
be  installed in a 110 if that is the engine you are using in the  car.
110 and 140 heads are quite different.

For the vacuum gauge, a vacuum line could be run and attached to  the
vacuum pressure lines in the engine.  This is probably the simplest  task.  Again
the 140 etc has a provision for this but it should not be  difficult to
connect a vacuum line to existing vacuum conduits.  In  most cases all that
will be needed is a T junction.  Or if you prefer  a more stock appearance the
140 etc. crosstube (there is a formal name for this  which I cannot recall)
accommodates the plastic vacuum hose which runs from the  dash through the
tunnel to the engine.

These parts will not be easy to find as they are Covair specific.   Your
best bet is Clark's Corvair but I imagine some parts will have to be found  in
scrape yards.  The Corvair Ranch might be helpful here.

Hope this helps.

LICA Webmaster

In a message dated 9/20/2011 9:35:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,