<VV> tire pressure gauge

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 8 01:02:30 EST 2012

Hi Frank,

Essentially I agree with the points you make.  I disagree with some -
especially the one below:

PASTE

Who cares if the best feel is
20, 30, or 40 on some arbitrary gauge, as long as you can repeat it?

END PASTE

40psi is too high for most tires - which generally have a max rating on the
sidewall of around 35.  Filling a cool tire to 40 and then taking it on a
summer time road trip could be hazardous to your continued good health.
This is likely true even if the gauge being used reads 5psi on the high side
(I assume that most don't).

You are right that the TPMS only shows the low side.  Just give that one a
few more years and the rules will change again!

Regarding repeatable, my practice is to check (same gauge) each tire a
minimum of twice - and 3 - even 4 times if the first two did not agree.
Each car has a gauge in the glove box and the one I feel is most accurate is
on the bench in the garage (near the compressor) in a coffee can marked "air
tools".  The glove box gauges rarely get used.

Later, JR