<VV> tire pressure gauge

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Feb 8 01:12:27 EST 2012

I was just saying that the gauge could read 40, but not really have 40
psi in the tire.  I was not recommending running over pressure.

But...

Since you asked,

I regularly ran 235/75R15 Snow tires on my large station wagons. Even
though the sidewalls clearly said they were rated for 35 psi, I ran them
at 40 psi to get the sag out of the sidewalls and keep down that tail
wagging feel. Against all rules? YES! But it worked for me for years.
And they didn't wear the center, as one would expect with over
inflation. The current wagon (94 Caprice w/ posi) does OK at 35 (35 on
most of my gauges!ggg). It is less than 4k lbs. Tire store was surprised
they fit in those wheel wells.

During autocrosses, I have run the rear tires on Corvairs at 40 psi.
Removed the wheel covers also...

YMMV

Frank DuVal