<VV> Aluminum Transmission Cases

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Thu Feb 9 11:50:59 EST 2012

All:  Hummm...

I do not know off the top of my head when 4 speeds became available on
Corvairs.

But the following is what I remember from material I've collected for a
Communique article on "Early Corvair Racing: 1959-1968".  Without digging it
out of the file folder, this is what I remember.

The first ever US Grand Prix (aka Formula 1) race was held at Sebring,
Florida, in mid-December 1959.  There was 2 Hour Compact Car race before it,
in which I think three Corvairs participated, but it could have been two.
Zora Duntov, of Corvette fame, was there with the cars, which had 4 speeds
and some other mild modifications.

While confirmation is probably impossible today, it is entirely conceivable
the aluminum-cased 4 speeds originated for use in this event.  This is
certainly as close as Chevrolet ever got to racing a Corvair.

Historically Yours,
			James Rice

Message: 1