<VV> viton crank seals

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 11 01:11:09 EST 2012

> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:19:22 -0500 (EST)
> From: BobHelt at aol.com
> Subject: <VV> viton crank seals
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>

> Over at the Corvair Forum, members have had problems with the Viton main
> crankshaft seals, while one major Corvair shop has used Viton crank seals for
>  years and never had a problem or failure.
>
> What are your experiences with these seals?
>
> Regards,
> Bob Helt

 Bob-I've used both Polyacrilate seals and Viton seals on both the bellhousing and balancer end- both types of materials leaked on the bellhousing end, neitherleaked on the balancer end. I've used the same crank and crank gear for the various seals, as the seal surface has always looked "perfect" to me. I had absolutelyno bellhousing leaks before I'd rebuilt the engine, but after rebuilding, it leaks, and the seal material choice hasnt made any difference at all! Probably, in my case,the difference between it leaking and not leaking was that when I did the re-build, I polished the seal surface, and did not get the surface finish correct. Next timeI get in there to deal with that seal I'm going to put a oil slinger on the crank shoulder (as is shown in some early corvair shop manuals), plus a seal sleeve.There should not be anymore reasons for that seal to leak, no matter what seal I use!Kevin Nash63 Spyder, daily driver