<VV> differential noise??

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 11 19:21:32 EST 2012

  Although I've driven Corvairs since 1961, my '66 has developed a back of the
car noise, I've never heard before. I think it is best described as a whirring
noise or rumble. No howl or squeal.

 It is not the rear hub bearings, as I recently replaced both sides, and the
sound is still there. The universals were checked when the hubs were replaced.
It is not the engine as the sound is still there after turning the engine off at
50 mph.

 I don't think it is the PG. My best guess would be the differential. I know the
PG diff is not the same at a standard. I'd be temped to buy a used diff and put
new bearings and seals in. Is this a difficult job, requiring special tools?

 I have the manuals and probably most tools to rebuild one. I've rebuilt several
engines and suspensions, so I might try it.

 If someone has a for sure good '66 PG diff for sale, I might be willing to buy
it. Current one is 3.27 not posi.

 MIKE KOVACS