<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 85, Issue 36

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat Feb 11 22:33:22 EST 2012

Original message
Although I've driven Corvairs since 1961, my '66 has developed a back of the
car noise, I've never heard before. I think it is best described as a whirring
noise or rumble. No howl or squeal.

It is not the rear hub bearings, as I recently replaced both sides, and the
sound is still there. The universals were checked when the hubs were replaced.
It is not the engine as the sound is still there after turning the engine off at
50 mph.

i think there may be a troubleshooting chart in the factory manual.

On the last decade or so I've had two cars develop insanely noisy tires towards the last third or so of tread life. I Swore the wheel bearings were bad, since it was speed related, and changed when cornering, which would change the loading on a wheel bearing. Deeper, lower pitch than snow tire howl. BF Goodrich TA(tourings or traction I forget) on an Honda Accord, and some no name all seasons on a Volvo 240.

Dan T